Apply for a bigger bin
We may exchange your bin for a larger one free of charge if any of the following apply to you:
- there are four or more permanent and full-time residents in your household
- you have shared parental responsibility for a child or children which increases the number of residents to four or more
- at least three people live at the property, including a child under the age of three
- In exceptional circumstances, we may issue a 360 litre grey bin for very large families. If you have additional needs, for example, you are a carer or a foster carer, we will take this into account. We will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis.
Bigger bin sizes
The size of the bins you're eligible for is as follows:
|Number of occupants||Grey bin size||Green bin size|
|Four or five||240 litre||240 litre|
|Six or more||240 litre||360 litre|
We do not provide a bigger brown bin. The only size for a brown bin is 240L.
Before you start your application, make sure you've got proof of the number of occupants in your property. You must include at least one piece of evidence. We accept copies of:
- driving licences
- birth certificates
- official bills (dated within the last six months)
You can upload your documents using our online form. Each document must not be over 5MB is size.
How to apply
You must have an online account to apply for a bigger bin.
If you're unable to complete the online form, you can contact the clean and green team. Our customer experience staff will take you through the process and tell you how to send your evidence.
It can take up to six weeks for new houses to appear on our system. If your address is not available when you log in, you can contact the clean and green team instead to make your application.
What happens next?
We'll process your application within 10 working days. Leave your old bin at the front of your property so we can take it away when your new bin is delivered.
If you no longer need a bigger bin
We will contact you every year to see if you still need a bigger bin. If your circumstances change and you no longer need it, please tell us.